Thursday, June 23, 2011

Stitches

Alright, I've been terrible at blogging. I haven't posted anything in 2 months. There have been blog worthy moments, but I just have a hard time sitting down and posting things. Tonight we had some excitement that seemed blog worthy. My first trip as a mom to the emergency room. Luckily our hospital has a wonderful pediatric emergency room, and they took good care of her.

My younger brother is visiting us and has been tons of help with babysitting. He was carrying her through our kitchen. Katelyn had made the floor wet shortly before that with a spray bottle. Water makes our tile floor extremely slippery, so down they went. Katelyn hit something (we think our crock pot) on the shelf next to them as they fell. There was lots of blood right at first, so we quickly hopped in the car and headed to the hospital. Luckily I also remembered to turn off the stove as we ran out the door, as I had been in the middle of cooking dinner.


There was lots of crying through the simple things like putting on a hospital bracelet, taking her temperature (which she LOVES doing at home), taking her blood pressure, etc. So while the topical numbing agent took effect the kind nurses got her stickers.......and turned on the movie "Tangled". We love that one.
That calmed her down, but every few minutes she'd remember what happened, cry, and have to come sit with me. That is becoming increasingly difficult to do with my growing belly. She was even calmed and happy enough to do one of her camera "smiles."Getting the stitches was very traumatic for Katelyn...and for me. Since she's 2 years old and the cut was near her eye they strapped her down completely. 5 stitches seemed to take forever. Luckily the pediatric emergency room has Popsicles. These Popsicles must have incredible healing powers, because it cheered her right up. :) She fell asleep on the drive home. It was 8:00 pm by that point. She didn't have dinner, have a bath, or brush her teeth. I cleaned up a lot of the blood while we waited in the ER, but she's still got a decent amount on her. I didn't care enough about any of that to do more than just carry her to her bed. I hope she sleeps well and feels better tomorrow.

I'm definitely not excited about going back in 5 days to get the stitches removed. :(

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yuck!! Stitches are no fun! What a good, brave girl! I hope the removing goes smoothly!

Anonymous said...

Thankfully it wasn't worse! And you are so cute sitting there with katelyn!

J'Nette said...

ahh! I am so sad to see this! Those hospital visits are no no fun. That strapping down is GUT wrenching, you cant stand to watch but you cant leave her alone either. I hope everything goes smoothly with the removal. She is such a cutie, that long hair of hers is adorable. You look so good pregnant too!

J'Nette said...

also i'm glad my kid isn't the only one with a severe obsession with water bottles. You can never be to careful around here either.

Melanie said...

Oh, poor, sweet Katelyn! I'm really grateful for emergency rooms, but like you, I hope to not take a child back again.